General Finishes Outdoor Oil is an exterior-rated penetrating oil that acts as a wood maintenance preservative. It contains UV prohibitors, heat stabilizers & mildew prohibitors. Use Outdoor Oil for all exterior outdoor wood projects, particularly wood furniture. It can be used by itself, over any stain, and on pressure-treated wood. NOTE: Outdoor Oil may not adhere to extremely oily exotic woods.
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir thoroughly. Do NOT thin.
- Apply 1-2 coats.
- Hand application: Apply a liberal coat of Outdoor Oil with a cloth, natural bristle brush, staining pad, paint pad or roller with smooth even strokes. Allow it to penetrate for 1-2 minutes, then wipe off excess with clean cloth. It is important to remove extra oil; any oil buildup that dries on the surface may cause drying problems.
- Spray application: Strain with medium-mesh filter. Spray wet films at 3-5-mil thickness. HVLP: 1.1mm-1.3mm spray tip, medium air cap. Verify tip sizes with your equipment supplier. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Keep your gun at a 90° angle, 6-8" from the surface. On large, flat areas, use wet, even patterns 6-8" wide. For narrow surfaces, reduce the fan pattern to 2-3" wide to reduce overspray. Overlap each pass 25% to conceal lines. Wear a full filter respirator (NIOSH/MSHA approved). Visit this FAQ for more information on spraying techniques.
- Spray on a wet coat and let the oil penetrate for 1-2 minutes. Be sure to wipe off the excess oil with a clean cloth.
- Dry 24-36 hours between coats in ideal conditions, 70°F/20°C; 50-70% humidity. If in doubt, wait longer. Increase dry time if:
- Use an inexpensive herbacide sprayer.
- Applying over an existing sealed finish
- Thick coats are applied
- 3+ coats are applied
- Humidity is over 80%
Clean up application materials and hands with mineral spirits or waterless hand cleaner, like Goop or Gojo.
Take great care when disposing of product-soaked applicators. Application materials, such as brushes and towels, containing oil-based products may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately place all application materials soaked with this product in a sealed, water-filled metal container. Dispose of in accordance with local fire regulations.
Clean up spills with mineral spirits immediately while wet. If oil-based finishes dry, they are difficult to clean off any surface, clothes or carpet. Carpet may discolor if cleaned with mineral spirits.
Protect your workspace with a tarp, your hands with gloves, and your clothes with an apron.