A favorite of professional finishers, Enduro Clear Poly is a high-performing water-based topcoat fortified with polyurethane that delivers a clear, tough, durable, and abrasion-resistant finish. It does not require a topcoat. Clear Poly can be used on any project where more solids (28%) and durability are desired. Spray tip recommendations.
General Finishes Enduro Professional Topcoat Application Steps
- Work in a well-ventilated area.
- Stir topcoat thoroughly to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process. Do not shake.
- Test for adhesion when applying over an existing finish.
- Thin as desired with distilled water; start with 5%, addint up to 10% by volume.
- Increase open time, if needed, with 10-15% General Finishes Extender if allowed by local regulations. GF Extender will improve flow and leveling and increase open time, which is helpful in dry climates. California Residents: Adding more than 2% of GF Extender will make the products non-compliant per SCAQMD Regulations. GF assumes no liability for the improper use of these products.
- Ready to spray from the container. Apply a minimum of 3 coats; additional coats may be applied to increase depth & durability.
- Spray application: Before spraying, strain topcoat through a fine-mesh filter. Spray wet films at 3-5-mil thickness. Medium air cap. Compressed air: 0.40, HVLP: 1.1mm-1.3mm or Airless .009-.011. Verify tip sizes with your equipment supplier. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Keep your gun at a 90° angle, 6-8" from the surface. On large, flat areas, use wet, even patterns 6-8" wide. For narrow surfaces, reduce the fan pattern to 2-3" wide to reduce overspray. Overlap each pass 25% to conceal lines. Wear a mask and work in a ventilated space. Read here for more information on spraying techniques.
- Respiratory protection:
Based on the hazard and potential for exposure, select a respirator that meets the appropriate standard or certification.
- Face frames on cabinets: Enduro professional products are engineered to be spray-only but can be successfully applied to cabinet face frames or edges with a pad or small, cabinet-specific roller, such as Whizz Velour brand. Larger areas may not level with a hand application. Alternative: Use the same sheen of General Finishes High Performance Topcoat on areas that must be brushed.
- If a faster build is desired over raw wood, use General Finishes Sanding Sealer for the first coat.
- Finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad to improve smoothness and adhesion.
- Remove dust with a vacuum, compressed air, an oil-free tack cloth or a water-dampened rag.
Warning: Do not use water-based products with Linseed Oils or Danish Oils.