ALUMA BLACK A14 Brush-On Blackener
ALUMA BLACK A14 Brush-On Blackener works at room temperature on all forms of aluminum to form an adherent black finish. Applied by brush-on techniques, the solution carries out a chemical reaction with the metal surface and forms a non-dimensional black finish that is bonded to the surface. Recommended for blackening of engravings or touch-up of aluminum components. A clear, protective topcoat is normally used as a sealant over the A14 black finish.
In short, the surface must first be thoroughly cleaned of all oil and transparent oxide. The black finish is then applied, rinsed, dried and sealed with a topcoat appropriate to the end use of the article:
- CLEAN the metal surface, using a solvent that does not leave a Use alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner or equivalent (Do not use mineral spirits or kerosene).
- REMOVE OXIDES by bead blasting, or use other abrasive cleaning method, such as sanitizing with Scotchbrite abrasive pads or flap wheels.
- APPLY ALUMA BLACK A14 solution to the surface by brush, swab or spray techniques (using a plastic pump sprayer). For best results, apply a thin film of solution on the surface, and then re-apply a few more times during the course of the reaction in order to “replenish” the supply of chemicals working on the surface. A light duty flooding technique works best. For large surfaces, apply the A14 solution with a wide applicator or with a pump sprayer to facilitate wetting a larger area in a few seconds. Continue application until a uniform gray/black finish is achieved.
- STOP the REACTION by sponging the surface with warm water to remove the GEL residues. Flat surfaces can be squeegeed off, and then sponged with warm water. To inhibit flash rusting during drying, neutralize acid residues in the recessed areas, using baking soda solution, (mix 3 tablespoons per gallon of water).
- FORCE DRY the surface with compressed air or warm air to speed
- SEAL the surface with a SATIN SHIELD SS10 water-based lacquer, or use an oil- based lacquer or wax to protect the black Decorative parts can be highlighted with Scotchbrite, to produce an antique finish, followed by the application of a topcoat.
Before Using This Product – Please Read, Understand and Follow all the Precautions shown on the Product Label and on the Safety Data Sheet.